Loading...

Updating Program Tabs...

Model Overview

Program Overview

2013
Year Launched
9 - 12
Blended Grades
225
Enrolled

Implementation Q & A

When you first implemented blended learning, why did you choose that particular model? (has your model changed? why?)


VGVC thought of following Carpe Diem model (Station Rotation model) -- but realized it was too messy. On the other hand, for flex model students will be less motivated because of lack of structure.
=> Hybrid Program (Rota-Flex)

What was one of your biggest challenges when going blended, and how did you overcome it?


Mismatching students ability & curriculum rigor; using the curriculum out of the box without customizing.

What's the one piece of advice you'd give to emerging blended-learning programs?


Train teachers to become coach. Make sure skill development becomes a team effort, and create community of digital learners, both adult & young adult.

Select up to two focus areas you feel that you demonstrate leadership in, and tell us why here:


Integrated platform: Diagnostics (Data analytics) + Curriculum (course design via Edgenuity v5) + Student Info System
Realization: Edgenuity is very hard to use. We have to take this product for non-stream customers (home-schooled students) and try with common public school students.

Program Focus

General
Edgenuity
Curriculum
Alma
Data Systems

School Partners

Edgenuity

Blended Subjects

Math
English Language Arts
Electives

School Overview

Located in Downtown Providence, RI in the midst of the Financial District, Village Green Virtual Charter School (VGV) opened in the fall of 2013 and provides educational services for 225 students from grade 9-12. It's a "bricks and mortar" blended learning model with a full virtual curriculum—students attend school everyday.

The school's model is the first of its kind in Rhode Island and one of just a few in the U.S. It's an educational research and dissemination laboratory (ER & D). VGV uses the Edgenuity e-courseware platform as its primary curriculum delivery system for a 4-year program of study but supported by in-classroom RI certified content area teachers. Students are in “workshops” working with teachers about 40% of the time and on-line or in advisory and reading groups the other 60%.

The school building is not the traditional "boxes and corridors" structure. It's carved out of formerly commercial space. There are three types of learning environments" (1) "Large Learning Centers" (LCs) wherein each student has their own partitioned workstation. It's the closest thing in education to an adult office environment; (2) "Workshops" (i.e., classrooms) specifically designed to hold 8-10 students; and, (3) the "Design Space" which is a hand's on maker lab for project-based learning.

VGCS is different; it is designed for best LX - Learner Experiences. A transparent look at the entire development of the school including the trials and tribulations, the virtual desktop technology infrastructure, teacher best practices, lessons learned, etc. is found in "Inventing School: The Bricks and Mortar Asynchronous e-Learning RotoFlex Blended Learning Model" (ISBN 978-0-692-66335-6 available on Amazon). It's a field manual for anyone wanting to incorporate Edgenuity as a full high school program of study.

School Contact

Contact: Dr. Robert Pilkington, Founder and Superintendent

Contact Title: Founder and Superintendent

Address:
Village Green Virtual Charter School
Village Green Virtual Charter School; 135 Weybosset Street
Providence, Rhode Island
2903
United States

Telephone: (401)-831-2878

Village Green Virtual Charter School's Website

Demographics

208
Total Students
87%
FRL
--
ELL

Student Ethnicity

There are currently no past timeline events for this school.