For our students, traditional, time-based model of school didn't work. They were underserved and off-track, because oftentimes their personal lives got in the way (jobs, family responsibilities, etc.) We needed to design school to be flexible, accommodating, and forgiving, while remaining rigorous. The Flex model allows for asynchronous, anytime online learning. Our in-person support system built into the model is equally essential to helping keep students on track and progressing forward.
Meeting students where they are means providing a lot of time and support. We deeply hold a philosophy of patience when it comes to reengaging students on a path to graduation.
1. Designing a learning environment for students who are or were previously off-track to graduation.
2. Staffing innovation: providing full-time social workers on campus and in the classroom every day.
Map Academy is a public charter high school located in Plymouth, MA, serving students for whom traditional school has not worked. Students find their way here through individualized roadmaps, student-centered experiences, a highly supportive culture, and career development opportunities. By earning their high school diploma with Map Academy, students are equipped with the knowledge, mindsets, and skills necessary for life beyond high school.
- There is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all education.
- Schools should meet students with the resources they need to succeed, whatever it takes.
- Learning does not start and stop when bells ring.
- All students can achieve at high levels and should be held to high standards.
- School is about learning, exploring, and achieving, not ranking, complying, and competing.
Contact: Rachel Babcock
Contact Title: Co-Founder & Co-Director
11 Resnick Rd.
There are currently no past timeline events for this school.